Call for Applications: Basic Underwater Archaeology Course 2016
(Deadline: 19th August 2016)
The International Centre for Underwater Archaeology Zadar (ICUA) is organizing a 2-week basic training course on underwater archaeology, due to take place in Zadar, Croatia, in period form 26th September – 7th October 2016.
The course will consist of theoretical and practical (hands on) instruction in the basic techniques of underwater archaeological excavation. Archaeologists from ICUA, Han-Vrana and the University of Zadar will conduct theoretical lessons, complemented by courses in specialty diving according to the requirements of the SSI / PADI system. Practical instruction will take place in the frame of archaeological researches in the Pakoštane, Zadar environs, in order to allow the participants acquire the best possible knowledge of basic research techniques.
The maximum number of trainees will be 4 persons.
Expected profile of participants: archaeologists (including researchers, or university students enrolled in study courses for 2nd level degrees) with no or scarce diving experience, as well as experts in different disciplines (conservators, geologists, marine biologists, etc) who are interested in developing multidisciplinary skills and participate in underwater archaeology researches.
Language skills: participants must be proficient in the English language, since English will be official language of the course.
Programmed activities will include:
• Part two (3rd-7th October): course on underwater archeology. The theoretical part of the course will be conducted at ICUA Zadar, and a practical part in Pakoštane, at the archaeological site. Lectures will be conducted according to the ICUA program for underwater archeology, and expanded on basis of underwater archeology at the University of Zadar. All participants will take part in archaeological excavations of the ancient site for on-site training. Participants completing this course will receive an ICUA official certificate of successful course completion.
Underwater archaeology theoretical lectures are conducted in the morning hours from 08:30-10:30 as it follows:
1. Mladen Pešić, ICUA: Underwater survey techniques
Underwater archaeology course practical exercises which every participant has to learn are divided by the days:
• Orientation exercises: 180°, 120°, 90°
After the course, participants are expected to be diving proficient and to have basic practical insight in underwater archaeological techniques. Participants will also have to give a final exam (composed of 18 questions), necessary in order to obtain the official ICUA Basic underwater archaeology certificate.
The price of the Basic underwater archaeology course is 1.000,00 Euro.
Selected applicants will receive included in the price of the course:
• Accommodation during the course
• university education (minimum first-level degree) on archaeology or related fields
Applicants should send to ICUA the following documents, no later than 19th August 2016, 12am:
• Curriculum Vitae (on Europass CV template)
Applications and accompanying documents must be sent per email in electronic form to ICUA Zadar (to the attention of Mr. Mladen Pešić, firstname.lastname@example.org )