Call for Applications: Advanced Underwater Archaeology Course 2016
(Deadline: 15th August 2016)
The International Centre for Underwater Archaeology (ICUA), category 2 centre under the auspices of UNESCO, in Zadar, is organizing fifth Advanced Underwater Archaeology Course. It will last 2 weeks and will take place in the Pula area, Croatia, from 17th to 29th October 2016.
The course will consist of theoretical and practical (hands on) instruction in techniques of underwater archaeological excavation, recording, data processing and the use of new technologies in underwater documentation. Archaeologists from the ICUA and guest lecturers will conduct theoretical lessons, supplemented by optional courses in speciality diving, in line with the requirements of the SSI or PADI system. Practical instruction will take place in the context of underwater archaeological surveys of ancient shipwrecks in the area surrounding Pula and will teach participants what it means to be part of an underwater archaeological excavation team.
The course is aimed at archaeologists who have diving experience and at least some basic experience of practical underwater archaeology. It is designed to provide participants with advanced skills and training in underwater archaeology and basic project planning.
The course will accept a maximum of 4 trainees.
Expected profile of participants: archaeologists (including researchers, or university students enrolled in graduate level degrees) with diving experience, who intend to qualify as members of underwater archaeological teams and participate in underwater archaeology researches. Participants must be proficient in English, as it is the working language of the course.
3. Participation costs
The price of the underwater archaeology course is 1.000,00 Euro.
Selected applicants will receive included in the price of the course:
• Accommodation (board and lodging) for the duration of the course
• Local transfers to the training sites
• Manual on underwater archaeology
• Rented diving equipment (tanks and weights)
• Insurance against diving accidents and injury
• SSI / PADI manual (optional)
• SSI / PADI Diving Certificates (optional)
• ICUA certificate of attendance and successful completion of the course
• ICUA T-shirt & cap
• Submerged Heritage Magazine
Selected applicants will not receive:
• reimbursement or contributions for their travel to/from Zadar
• any daily allowance or other forms of additional financial support during the course.
4. Tentative Programme
Scheduled activities will include a two-week (17th to 29th October 2016) course on underwater archaeology. The theoretical part of the course will be held in a diving center in the Pula area and Ližnjan, whereas practical lessons will take place at the ancient shipwrecks near Ližnjan.
During first week of the course, participants will obtain additional training in diving with local diving center “Indie”. The optional courses will be conducted in English, in line with the SSI or PADI methodology. Participants will be able to attend one of the specialized course (Night diving, Boat diving, Navigation, Wreck diving, Deep diving, Nitrox). Both theoretical and practical courses will be conducted by SSI/PADI certified instructors. Participants completing one of these courses will receive an official SSI/PADI Certificate.
Second part of the course will be focused on the practical and theoretical learning about underwater archaeology. Lectures will be conducted based on the ICUA course curriculum for underwater archaeology. As part of their on-site training, all participants will take part in archaeological excavation of the ancient shipwrecks as members of a team, and will gain practical experience in working with different types of underwater surveillance technology. At the end of the course, participants will receive an official ICUA certificate of successful course completion.
Lectures on underwater archaeology will be conducted every morning from 08:30-10:30 as follows:
• Antonija Jozić, ICUA: Introduction to the conservation of underwater finds
• Mladen Pešić, ICUA: Amphorae in an archaeological context
• Luka Bekić, ICUA: Research and publication of project results
• Josip Višnjić, HRZ: Postmedieval pottery finds in the Adriatic
• Mladen Pešić, ICUA: 3D survey and computer post processing of data with Site Recorder
• Miran Erič, ZVKDS: Advanced methods and techniques of underwater documentation
• guest lecturers
Mandatory practical exercises in underwater archaeology will be conducted on a daily basis, with participants divided into groups of two or four, on the following topics:
• Logistical organization of personal and team equipment
• Basic boat operations
• Use of water pump and hoses
• Underwater use of water dredge in a trench excavation
• Underwater photographic documentation of a trench and a site
• Packing, labeling and transport of finds
• Underwater drawn documentation and post-processing of data
• Practical use of Site Recorder computer programme for documenting of the site
• Area survey with use of a boat mounted side scan sonar
Upon completing the course, trainees are expected to have acquired the necessary skills to work independently on any of the tasks covered by the programme. In addition, participants will be required to sit for a final exam in order to obtain the official ICUA Advanced Underwater Archaeology Certificate.
• university degree (minimum undergraduate) in archaeology or related fields
• basic scuba diving knowledge (SSI OWD/ CMAS R1 or equivalent)
• practical experience in underwater archaeology
• a medical certificate ensuring fitness for diving, not older than 1 year
• be at least 18 years old
• experience in archaeology and/or management and preservation of underwater archaeological sites will be considered an asset
Applicants should send to ICUA the following documents, no later than 15th August 2016:
• Curriculum Vitae (on Europass CV template)
• copy of the diving card
• valid diving medical certificate
• diving insurance
Applications and accompanying documents must be sent per email in electronic form to ICUA Zadar (to the attention of Mr. Mladen Pešić, firstname.lastname@example.org )